It seems like just about everyone these days struggles with some type of pain in their feet, ankles, knees, hips or low back. Our sedentary lifestyles leave us stiff and weak in a lot of these areas, so in order to combat those aches and pains, we must mobilize and strengthen our bodies.
Our feet are the foundation of our bodies and dysfunction can throw our entire body off track, leading to pain and injury in other places.
Below are 15 simple drills that may help loosen up your toes, ankles and the muscles involved.
Disclaimer: These are recommended for healthy individuals. If you have injuries, please see a doctor before performing these exercises.
1. Toes Pointed Sit
2. Knee Circles – Sit Back on heels, hands down, feet and knees close together, then draw circles with your knees.
3. Hips Up, Heels Down, Sit Back on Heels
4. Down Dog Toe Raises
5. Kneeling Ankle Mobility
6. Open the Door
7. Kneeling to Squat
8. Squatting Knee Reaches
9. Elevated Toes – Knee Bends
10. Elevated Toes – Toe Touch – Elevate the toes on a weight plate or similar, keep legs straight and reach for toes.
11. 3 Way Ankle Mobility
12. 3 Way Ankle Mob w/ Knee and Hip Shift
13. Top of Big Toe and Front of Shin Stretch
14. Toe Alphabet Drill – Balance on one foot and write the alphabet with the raised toes.
15. Split Squat Lunge
Done correctly, these stretches and exercises can help improve the mobility of your foot and ankle, as well as, strengthen the muscles that help us move efficiently.
Innovative Results is committed to improving the quality of life for people around Costa Mesa and our fitness programs reflect that mission. Our workouts do not simply focus on working hard, but help people improve mobility, stability, strength and power….all in a fun, playful environment that is unlike anything you have ever experienced.
Interested in taking your health to the next level?
If so, give us a call today and schedule your FREE Trial.