Even coaches and leaders get into emotional slumps…and I was in one recently–NOT COOL, and most definitely NOT GOOD if you have people that rely on you!
How did I know I was in a slump?
- Getting up in the morning was a chore, and I didn’t become fully awake, alive, and energized until about 7am, which is THREE HOURS and 15 minutes INTO MY DAY!
- I felt like I wasn’t productive or high-performing.
- My training sets were barely finished, and lower performing than the earlier weeks.
- I craved sugar, beer, wine, and crappy food.
- Water sounded gross.
- My time with God and relationships in life felt disconnected or disjointed.
Why did this happen to me?
Not the greatest question to ask in the middle of a slump, unless you want to play the victim, and spend more time in your slump. Taking responsibility for yourself and confronting the brutal facts is top priority if you are going to make it out.
I am not sure if it was because I was in an ethereal-spiritual-philosophical haze of having a brand new baby girl or not working for over a week (I still worked, but very little compared to my normal) or it was just my time to experience a low week or time…but I was down.
Here is what I do to help me pull out of the downward spirals (which have been known to happen to me about once every three months or so, and are much shorter lived than in my past):
- Smiling– Smiling has been shown to change the state of a person by many studies that I have read and researched in a very small amount of time. This takes a choice and an action. Here is a great Innovative Results video on the power of a smile:
- Drinking enough water– Too many times I was down because of dehydration, only to realize that a few glasses of water, picked me back up to full speed again. Here is another Innovative Results video on hydration.
- Eating Healthy Foods, not Foods that my Stress Desires– I have a MAJOR sweet tooth (it is such a problem that my wife has to hide any sugar items if she wants to enjoy them in moderation, because she knows I will SMASH a whole bucket of sugary stuff at night to satiate my horrible cravings). Eating junk foods: anything that comes in a box, bag, or is ordered through an electrical communication device is not going to pull you out of your emotionalor energy slumber. It is going to crank you up into a euphoric cloud, and then drop you deeper than you were before. CHOOSE FOODS THAT GOD MADE, and if man has messed with them RUN AWAY!! Here is an Innovative Results video on meal preparation and nutrition:
- Prayer and Meditation– In my personal experience, I have felt relief by handing over the issues to a power greater than me. I have also read many studies and books in my Masters on leadership Studies that displayed empirical studies and experiential observations that prayer and meditation helped the individual in their spiritual, physical, mental and emotional states. Here is an Innovative Results video on thankfulness and breathing, which can be both prayer and meditation:
- A little bit of daily exercise goes a long way– Again, too many studies have proven that this is one of the BEST ways to FEEL BETTER! Here is an Innovative Results video with an exercise you can do anywhere, and you will feel better afterward:
- Daily Affirmation, Scripture Memory, Direction, and Vision Board Daily– Even when I am bored with it, or bummed out. I have heard it said, that ‘grace cannot be earned, but it is not opposed to effort.’ By Dallas Willard, and I think the individual plays a major role in what happens to us in this amazing Universe, despite your belief system. Here is an Innovative Results video for your success, where we share our belief in you:
- Relationship with God and Others Renewed- An planned intimate venture with the one’s you love, or the one’s that love you can really help carry you out of your hole, and give you a breath of life! Here is an Innovative Results video, where we share our appreciation for our relationship with you:
- Simplify- Just take one moment or task at a time. The last steps out of my slump, was repeating to myself, “I can. I will. I must.” “Just do one task.” and “I can do all things through Christ that gives me strength.” Phil 4:13 These three simple phrases, helped me to two simple things (get rid of all the dirt that was in my backyard, and write an email). Here is an Innovative Results video where we show you how simply improving your posture has HUGE implications in the improvement of your mood and motivation:
Afterwards, I felt the grip of dark emotions and slowed energy lift from me, and become replaced with what I describe as my high normal (feeling awake, alive, and energized…fully capable, competent, and confident…READY TO SMASH…Ready to LIVE!…READY TO SERVE…Joyfully praising through my life’s purpose.
I believe that every slump and down part of our life has much to teach us, just like failure and winning has much to teach us as well.
If you have read and watched your way to the end of this article, I hope you already feel better, and I am looking forward to fighting the good fight with you this day, week, and life!!
May your mood be lifted, your dreams be tangible, your actions be swift, and your days be blessed beyond belief!
Make your next one, your best one!
Founder, Co-owner, and Coach
Innovative Results has been voted #1 personal trainers and gym in Orange County, CA.