Odds are, you are reading this blog, hunched over in your chair, wondering why your back hurts…here’s a great explanation why….
WHAT IS FORWARD HEAD SYNDROME?
FORWARD HEAD SYNDROME is the most common and dangerous postural distortion. This condition occurs when your spinal curves weaken and distort causing your head to shift forward on your shoulders. This abnormal shift forward has been studied extensively can lead to many serious and adverse effects on your overall health.
Here are conclusions from medical researchers and other doctors studying physical medicine:
Rene Calliet, Director of the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at the University of Southern California, reached the following conclusions regarding FORWARD HEAD SYNDROME in 1987:
1. Forward Head Syndrome is a result of losing the normal curve of the neck. This distorted posture will cause a mechanical block of optimal spinal lead to abnormal motion of the first four cervical vertebrae, which is necessary to produce stimulus for endorphin production (endorphins are chemicals produced by the brain and spinal cord to reduce painful stimuli). With inadequate endorphin production, many otherwise non-painful sensations are experienced as pain (ie body aches/pains, fibromyalgia, etc.).
2. Forward Head Syndrome can deplete lung capacity by as much as 30%, which can lead to heart and
blood vascular disease.
3. Forward Head Syndrome can cause the entire gastrointestinal tract to be affected, particularly the large intestine.
Loss of good bowel function and evacuation are a common sequel associated with this postural weakness and may lead to toxic effects and disease in the body.
4. Forward Head Syndrome can pull the entire spine and body out of alignment making it rigid and reduce all body motions. The body then becomes “HUNCHED” over.
5. Forward Head Syndrome will cause a lengthening and axial traction (stretching) of the spinal cord as the normal curve in the neck continues to bend and distort forward. This leads to a functional stenosis (narrowing of the diameter of the spinal cord with nerve compression) as the head progressively shifts forward and is left uncorrected. When your posture is locked in this weakened structure there is a permanent elongation of the spinal cord. The diameter of the cord continues to decrease resulting in a functional reduction in life and energy flow to ALL of the vital organs of your body.
In 1974, researcher Kapandji concluded that Forward Head Syndrome will reduce the flow of cerebral spinal fluid (the fluid that nourishes your brain and spinal cord). This loss of fluid circulation will further compromise the protection of your brain and spinal cord. The result of this mechanically induced stenosis combined with the lack of fluid circulation is LOSS OF MENTAL ACTIVITY AND LOSS OF PHYSICAL AND MENTAL WELL BEING.
Ready to fix your posture?
Get started with these stretches today!