When I prepare my workouts, I want to do something that will make me feel better and give me the most bang for my buck. I don’t have any time to waste in the gym so I want every move to be as effective and efficient as possible. And I want it to counteract my bad posture from sitting at a desk typing on a computer for a good portion of the day.
That is why I love the yoga sequence below.
Here’s how to do this Full-Body Yoga Sequence Stretch:
- Set up in a high plank position, from your hands and toes. Your hands should be about under your shoulders and your body should be in a nice straight line.
- Then push back into a downward dog position. Your butt should go up in the air and you should press your chest back toward your knees so that your upper body is in a nice straight line from the heels of your palms to your tailbone. You want to press your chest out so your back is flat and your biceps are by your ears.
- Then float one foot up toward the ceiling. Driving the heel up and back.
- Swing that leg forward and through, placing the foot outside of your hands on the ground. As you swing the leg forward, your hips should drop back down.
- Then drop the same elbow as the knee that is forward down toward the ground.
- Try to touch the ground with the elbow if possible.
- After you touch the elbow down, raise that arm up toward the ceiling, rotating your chest open and looking up. You should feel a nice stretch through your spine and even in your hip.
- Place the hand back down on the ground.
- Step the foot back and repeat on the other side.
This is a great stretch because it really does stretch out and warm up your entire body in just a few quick minutes. It also prepares your body to work and opens you up from sitting at a desk hunched over a computer all day. Use this move to make your workouts more efficient!
It fights against my poor posture and warms up my body to workout in ONE MOVE.
Now that’s great bang for my buck!
Cori is a health and fitness fanatic who played tennis for a nationally ranked Division I team before becoming a personal trainer. She loves working with women to help them become stronger, more confident, empowered individuals through exercise. She also loves igniting a passion for fitness in people of all ages so that they can lead healthier, happier lives.
Learn more about Cori and the rest of our training staff here.